Friday, May 16, 2008

Dream Play, Cosmic Queen

I really enjoyed Dan Liebman's The Sound of Silence piece. It hit all the right notes for me.

My friend told me to look for Cosmic Queen in the 3rd at Hollywood (Md.SpWt 48K). A Stormy Atlantic filly out of the Sadlers Wells (he'll be missed) mare Well At The Top *Ire. Christopher Paasch trains her and Mike Smith was up. As I have said before there are few secrets in racing and she wasn't one of them. She set a new track record of 50.72 for the 4- 1/2 furlong race while paying $5.60. I know most of us like to try to beat the chalk (to be honest I don't remember if she was, but if she wasn't she was close enough) but I think that if one is to make money at the track you have to take the money they give you. That means lay more when you think the chalk will be one of those 33%. Having said all that, if I wasn't watching at home, I probably would have bet on the #7 Streamin Heat. I thought she looked the best and you always have to strongly consider Wesly Ward first out (30%). He also bred the filly and is part owner. Maybe when they're his own he doesn't push as hard! She finished third. Truly Cosmic Queen was much the best.

I really enjoy the racing at Hollywood Park more than anywhere. To me that track is perfect. I have never seen a pronounced bias either for style of racing or placement on the track. If only all synthetics played so well! What a shame if we loose it!

Well apparantly the deal for Big Brown has hit some snags. I must say I'm a bit surprised. Whoever it was that was the interested party must think they are asking too much. I can't imagine what that price tag would be! Both parties are taking quite a risk waiting. I did read that IEAH's Michael Iavorne said that he thought that there was 'no chance' for Big Brown to be running next year (What about next -fall- season?). Here again is another problem with racing. All these players get up and say how much they love the game, and that's why they're here. But they never do right by the game. Thank god for Jess Jackson! I know it's easy for me to sit here and criticize. After all do I really know what I would do if someone offered me forty or more million for a horse? No, I guess I don't. At that point, however, at least your playing with house money. I'd like to think that I would at least struggle with the decision. Perhaps take less, split the risk and run him at least another year. What's wrong with that? How can a horse be a great horse without proving his value on all the battlefields?

I really wish they would not run The Pimlico Special on Friday for the same reasons I don't like the idea of Filly Friday (see The Ladies Cup in my April entries). They certainly make it hard to be a fan!

I saw another nice looking 2 yo Filly today in the 2nd at Belmont, Dream Play. She is a Hennessy filly out of a Saratoga Six mare (Playcaller). That breeding should ring some bells. She's has the same pedigree as Madcap Escapade (See Sassy Pants and Real Estate , below Ponderings). I think that Dream Play's second Dam's pedigree will give her more stamina than Madcap. Her second dam is Delice a mare by What a Pleasure (Bold Ruler) out of Swoonalong by the very durable Swoons Son. He ran from '55-'58 started 51 times with a record of 30-10-3 and $970,000 in earnings! He won too many races to list.She could be real interesting to keep an eye on.

No comments: