Sunday, May 3, 2009

KD results

I don't usually post a result column here but for the KD I decided it appropriate. For results each week visit Thorofan look for the ROTW.
Churchill Downs
Kentucky Derby (G1)
1-1/4 Three-Year-Olds $2,177,200


# Horse ------------------Win------Place------Show------Final Odds
8--- Mine that Bird ---103.20----54.00---- 25.80------$50.60 – 1
16--Pioneerof the Nile------------- 8.40----- 6.40---------$6.30 – 1
2---Musket Man--------------------------- 12.00------------ $19.00 – 1
Splits: 22.98--47.23--1:12.09--1:37.49--2:02.66
$2 Exacta $2,074.80
$2 Trifecta $41,500.60
WPS Pool $43,434,837
Winner: Mine that Bird (g) by Birdstone -Mining My Own (Smart Strike)
Owner: Double Eagle Ranch & Bueno Suerte Equine
Trainer: Bennie Woolley Jr.
Breeder: Lamantia,Blackburn & Needham / Betz Thoroughbreds

The 135th Kentucky Derby once again lived up to the moniker ‘the most exciting two minutes in sports.’ In a patented ‘Bo-rail’ move, jockey Calvin Borel guided the largely ignored Mine That
Bird from a pinched start to a shocking upset. The rail-skimming ride from last to first delivered last year’s Canadian champion two-year-old home 6 ¾ lengths ahead of one of the most contentious fields ever to contest the Kentucky Derby and simultaneously lit up the tote board with the second-biggest payoff in the history of the race. Borel’s unbridled enthusiasm was contagious as he paraded the smallish gelding in front of the cheering crowd of 153,563. The charismatic rider was basking in the glory of his Kentucky Oaks- Kentucky Derby paired successes.
On Friday the popular rider cruised home aboard the sensational and highly favored Rachel Alexandra. On that day more than 20-lengths separated him from the second-pace filly. On Saturday he reveled in every moment of this surprise win as trainer Bennie Wooley Jr. navigated to the infield winner’s circle across the sticky track on his crutches.
At the top of the stretch it looked as though a real race was developing, but Borel shot through on the rail and in a blink of an eye opened up a widening lead on the field. Pioneerof the Nile, Musket Man and Papa Clem battled it out to the wire for second money with Pioneerof the Nile besting Musket Man by a nose and Papa Clem finished a head back of him for 4th money. Both Pioneerof the Nile and Papa Clem were forwardly placed throughout and while no match for the winner continued bravely to the wire. Musket Man had some problems early as he slipped and was bumped but was still able to display why he should be taken more seriously.

In my pre-race analysis Musket Man had been my favorite, but all the bad press about him looking poorly during the week caused me to me jump ship late. Lucky for me, I resurrected my belief in him before post time and put a small wager across the board on the Illinois Derby winner. While I didn’t have to visit the IRS window, there was satisfaction in the result. I also played a Musket Man, Pioneerof the Nile, Papa Clem and Summer Bird superfecta. Unfortunately I picked the wrong ‘Bird.’ The super with Mine That Bird paid an astounding $557,006.40 for a $2 bet! Wow! The results emphasize the lesson that one should always stick with your beliefs. In horse racing anything can happen. If you enjoy the sport, put in the time to learn and observe--it can be a profitable endeavor as well as an enjoyable activity.

It’s my financial misfortune that I ignored playing my own sentimental favorite, Mine That Bird. He was bred in part by Needham/Betz Thoroughbreds in Lexington Kentucky. I had the pleasure of working for this farm during a couple of foaling seasons and while there helped in the care of Mine That Bird’s dam, Mining My Own. She was an unnamed weanling and yearling then. Her dam, Aspenelle also resided at the same farm. So it is with particular joy that I am able to extend my congratulations to my mentors in the breeding end of this business. Among their other success stories are Roman Ruler, El Corredor and Madcap Escapade. Congratulations! And well done!

1 comment:

SaratogaSpa said...

I always Liked Birdstone (the sire of Mine that Bird) but for the Derby I liked the other horse sired by Birdstone-Summer Bird