Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thoughts

Sorry for the lack of posts but there's not a lot hitting me at the moment. Some doings at Calder but the big issue - ADW split - is yet to be resolved. Curlin's coming to NY this weekend to run on the grass, which is very exciting and I am looking forward to it, but there's not a lot to be said about it...until he wins! Then the excitement will start! As far as I'm concerned I have never envisioned this blog as a 'recap' space. We can all read the news so unless I have an opinion about something that is different than what I have read, or I have some comments on races I've seen, I don't feel compelled to write. I do promise you a post on Friday with some exciting news, but it's time sensitive and will have to wait until then.

I do have one thing to say that doesn't concern racing directly but should be an example for the industry; the way the Tour de' France organizers, and cycling in general, handles the doping problem in cycling. Simply put you get caught you're out. The time one is suspended does have to do with the severity of the infraction but we are not talking days here folks we are talking years! In some cases lifetimes. Very often the severity of the punishment ends up, in practice, to be a career. Good for them! I don't agree with all their judgements, for instance team Astana was denied entry in the Tour because previous members of their team were linked with the 'Operacion Puerto' doping scandal two years ago. All the accused members have either been found innocent or fired from the team but that doesn't matter they're OUT as a team! I don't like it because Alberto Contador, last year's Tour winner and one of the most exciting riders in the world is on Team Astana, and I wanted to see him have a chance to repeat. But that isn't going to happen this year. Contador has been accused of nothing but he rides for the wrong team this year! Too bad for him and us because we can't watch him race. As I said, I don't like it, but I think they are right to do it. It would have been very exciting as Contador is coming of a win in the Giro (The Tour of Italy).

The new American teams, Columbia and Garmen-Chipolte are the new age of teams. Their program is based on being drug free and testing all the time to be certain. Their programs are based on true talent, hard work and vitamins. Gotta love it. The Tour de' France is probably my favorite sporting event of the year, though, obviously, not my favorite sport. Racing should take a page from the cycling world! You cheat you're out--FOR YEARS!

No comments: