Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend Note

There were a lot of exciting races this weekend. In the American Oaks, Pure Clan and Julien Leparoux showed a lot of guts splitting horses and winning with style. In the Cash Call Mile I had Diamond Diva but still can't believe she back got up to beat Lady of Venice! Zenyatta was less than her usual spectacular self winning the Vanity(g.I) her second grade one victory; but she did win. Even with all the excitement in those races I was most excited about Hannahs Classy Boy in the 6th at Hollywood a [S] MSW 62k. It wasn't an easy MSW either.

More than anything else in racing I like to spot a new talent and then watch them as they develop, no matter the level. Of course it doesn't always work out so perfectly, but it's very satisfying when it does. With Zenyatta I'm sure it seemed obvious to anyone that she was special from the start. My favorite horse, More Than Ready, also seemed to exude that class when I first saw him. I'm not saying Hannahs Classy Boy is going to be in the category of either of those horses but he sure showed me something first time out! After running on the pace (22, 45, 57.3)he headed One Chin Again in the stretch, lost the lead by a head and then fought back and won impressively in 1:10.35 and paid $10! The next step up is always the most difficult and I can't wait to see how he handles it. I figure that to be sometime at Del Mar. Hannahs Classy Boy is a 3yo gelding by In Excess (*Ire) out of Classic Lady (Dehere). He's a homebred for Hi Card Ranch, trained by Brian Koriner and he was ridden by the continually impressive Joe Talamo. He's going directly in my stable.

  • Some changes at Calder in the last few days. Everybody needed relief. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the ADW battle down there.
  • NY thinking synthetics. [BH46028]

No comments: