Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Seacrettina

Saturday's DRF had a column on Seacrettina and her trainer Joe Petalino. Petalino is a name that will be familiar to most fans although one may not know why. He is a based in the Midwest and as the column points out he "consistently comes up with a good 2-year-old each season at Lone Star Park." They give examples for the last few years: last year Dill or No Dill and in 2006, Great Hunter. Great Hunter went on to win the Breeders' Futurity (gr.I) at Keeneland that year. Both horses were sold privately before going on to their stakes victories. This year he has come up with Seacrettina. She broke her maiden first out in a 4 -1/2 MSW. On Saturday, for her return to the track, she was pointed toward Lone Star's $75K Silver Spur Breeders' Cup against a field with some talented fillies. You can download a version of the article off the DRF site but I think it only appeared in print. No matter, it is a short article and I've given you most of the information from the article.
I offer this as an example of all the good stories and horses of interest that run that most of us will never hear of or get to see. Admittedly Lone Star is not on par with the "A" league tracks, and more than likely Seacrettina will not become a household name and may not go on to win a graded stake. But, it is great to follow these horses and trainers, like Petalino, as they reach the highest heights available to them. Unfortunately for me I cannot get HRTV so I had to wait to find out how she ran (I refuse to pay for replays). Perhaps the race is on You Tube by now. In any event Seacrettina did not disappoint. She went off as the third choice on the board at 3-1. Ken Tohill was up and Seacrettina ran the six furlongs in 1:10.49 winning by 6-1/4 lengths while earning a 95 Beyer! She's, for sure, a watch horse for me! My hope is that she doesn't get sold and Petalino has a chance to prepare her to compete against some of the "A" team. I know my heart and a "few" dollars would be with her! Good for Them!

No comments: