Friday, May 2, 2008

Oaks Day !

A quick post for Oaks Day! I'm lucky enough to get the day free to see some of the races leading up to the Oaks and to comb through the Form for the carryover at Belmont! ESPN2 will be airing the Oaks on a program running from 5-6 EDT. so I wouldn't have missed the race anyway but one certainly doesn't get a feel for the day without getting to see some of the races. But had this been 'Fillies Friday' and I wasn't able to get the time off I would miss all but perhaps the final two CHAMPIONSHIP! races! That's no way to run a sport. Sorry for beating a dead...

Anyway I'll post a Oaks Day pick 6 here, though I probably will only play the P6 at Belmont.

Race 5: I like #8 Indian Ashton - He continues to improve and is in top form and hasn't missed a beat training. He gets the outside post- minimizing early mishap possibilities and he should benefit from the extra 1/2 f. #1 Atticus Kristy is a horse for the course and would add nice value to an exacta.

Race 6: #7 Ginger Punch. To me a no brainer, especially with the defections Bayou's Lassie and Silver Knockers. She should have it her way all the way around.

Race 7: #6 Grace and Power. She can win fresh and if the works are a true indication of her growth I think she will out class this field. Johnny V. doesn't hurt either!

Race8: #6 Chelokee. It's time for him to run to his potential and I think his rivals here have lost a step or two.

Race9: #4 Processor's Turf. Any horse with a late turn of foot like this colt has I'd never bet against on the turf! I'll box him with #6 Halo Najib in an exacta that should pay well even if it is Pletcher and Romans!

The Oaks: I'm going with #11 Pure Clan. She hasn't done anything wrong yet and is still moving forward. I imagine she's had a lot of stamina building jogs in between those works and that last work was perfect to set her up. I love that Prado's aboard. I think she steps up into the elite company of 3yo fillies today. #6 Country Star will rally for place just like her sire did in the Derby and #7 Little Belle will hold on to round out the trifecta.

Good luck to everyone! And enjoy the racing!

Results:
Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate Friday and we were faced with muddy and yielding conditions. I'm not sure how that would have changed any of my choices without going back over the card. You can adjust at the track but not with preselected choices. But, that's racing! Over all the picks didn't do well at all.
*Indian Ashton jumped up at the break and then took a right hand turn before being hustled back into the race but it was too much to overcome. But he did seem the best in the race.
*Ginger Punch ran as expected.
*Grace and Power flattened out.
*Chelokee broke down at the 3/16ths.
*Processor's Choice didn't figure at all.
*Pure Clan ran well to get show money, but there was no beating Proud Spell. Little Belle held on for place. But no payday here. That's what happens when you try to beat the best in a race!
On to Derby Day!

No comments: